So you want to start a blog? Easy enough. You can always start a free blog through Blogger or WordPress , but there are so many reasons you shouldn’t! I’m going to tell you why you should own your own domain name and how to do it.
Benefits of Owning Your Own Domain
- It just makes it easy! You want people to find you and not have complications looking you up. www.myname.com opposed to www.myname.wordpress.com makes it a little difficult to find you.
- People will want to do business with you. How does a blog mean business? You can make a profit from your blog! But you want to own your domain and the content!
- As far as search results, you will show up in the top search engines like Google, Bing, and Yahoo.
- Once you have a domain name, it is yours!! No one else can have it.
- You will create an online presence and you need that to bring traffic to your blog!
- Free blogs, do not allow you to monetize from your blog!
How do I get a domain name?
I use Bluehost. It is super easy to use and if you aren’t very technologically advanced, they have amazing customer service by phone or online chat. They work great with WordPress and I love the different services they provide.
Click the image below and it will take you to the Blue Host Website – I’ll guide you through setting up your domain!
Click on Get Started Now to bring you to the plans available. Since this is your first blog, you don’t need to splurge for the plus or prime plans. You can always upgrade later on, when you need to. Pick the basic plan which is $3.45 a month. I paid for a 36 months, which cost me a little over $100. It isn’t a bad price to pay, when your blog will bring in money for you.
I am sure you have thought about a domain name for quite some time. Enter your new domain name and use .com, it is the most commonly used. Then click next.
Fill out your personal information and then scroll down to the package information. I chose the Basic 36 month package, which gives you a lower monthly price. Blue Host gives you different options to add on to your plan. The only one you really should add is the Domain Privacy Protection, which will protect you from scams, spam, and prying eyes.
Congratulations! You now own your own domain! This is the start to your blog! Now that you have finished registering your domain, go to the dashboard after you log into Blue Host – scroll down to the website section. You are not going to Install WordPress, this makes it easier to blog! You will have WordPress available on your desktop instead of logging onto the WordPress Website.
Next week, I am going to tell you how to advertise your blog with Twitter and how to create your online presence. You need to create a following in order to monetize your blog. Go ahead and create your Twitter Handle so you will be ready for the next step!